Tuesday 4 May 2010

The Psycho


When she sauntered into the class 10 minutes late (she was always 10 minutes late - absolutely punctually;), she didn't notice that he was already sitting inside the room.

The rest of the class was yet to arrive and it was sort of a twilight zone - still some dregs of sunlight streaming in the room and posing the "Should we switch on the lights or not?" question...

She slowly walked up to him - a bit tentatively since he was slumped in the chair - obviously distressed. It had now been two months since she took the evening classes on psychology and each day had been a new experience. People were coming in and telling all kinds of stories of their past - all very different and even surreal. Having heard so many narratives, Ramya had learnt to accept the strange and sub-normal. Like an oft used perfume whose smell is hardly picked up by the wearer, strange stories had become quite the norm!!

Ramya treaded quietly and shook him slightly - just to get his attention, for he still seemed pre-occupied by his aloneness... He slowly looked up and it seemed that he had been crying.

"Would... Would you like some water?", Ramya asked

"You are late", he announced to no one in particular, seeming unable to digest the sudden doubling of the population in the room

Ramya said, "I came as soon as I finished work. Can we begin our session today?".

He seemed reluctant a bit. "No one else has arrived yet. Should we start or wait?"

Ramya was dying to broach the topic and hurriedly said, "Never mind. Let us begin. What has been bothering you?"

"Well, Life does seem to have reached an all time low. My routine bores me to the core... I dont think that I make enough money for a man of my qualifications. There does not seem to be any reward or appreciation for my hard work and the many hours I spend with the people I work with. I am totally depressed and I have reached a dead end in my career.."

Ramya braced herself and said, "Cmon, You really have to pull yourself together. It is not all that bad and you only need to see your job in a new perspective." Looking at her watch, she then continued, "and I suggest that you do it soon, because, the rest of the students will be here soon, Professor!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment